Friday, April 22, 2011

A Daffodil Day

It's such a dark and gloomy day today.  As I was cleaning out the bird bath and filling the feeders, I noticed that I have a lot of Daffodil's in bloom.  Now I usually don't pick my flowers because I like to see them outside, but there are so many that I picked just one handful and brought them in the house and put them in a vase...made in Japan (that's another story).  They reminded me a Wordsworth's poem...





I WANDERED lonely as a cloud
          That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
          When all at once I saw a crowd,
          A host, of golden daffodils;
          Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
          Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

          Continuous as the stars that shine
          And twinkle on the milky way,
          They stretched in never-ending line
          Along the margin of a bay:                                  10
          Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
          Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

          The waves beside them danced; but they
          Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
          A poet could not but be gay,
          In such a jocund company:
          I gazed--and gazed--but little thought
          What wealth the show to me had brought:

          For oft, when on my couch I lie
          In vacant or in pensive mood,                               20
          They flash upon that inward eye
          Which is the bliss of solitude;
          And then my heart with pleasure fills,
          And dances with the daffodils.

No comments: